FOR DOGS WITH NO DISCERNABLE AUTOMOBILE ANXIETY ISSUES
Through a Dog's Ear: Driving Edition is dog-friendly music designed to create
a positive sound environment for you and your dog. The arrangement techniques
used in this music have been clinically demonstrated to not exacerbate canine
anxiety. Consequently, people can listen to this music, resting assured that
their dogs will be surrounded by a neutral auditory environment. Through a Dog's
Ear: Driving Edition starts with slower, simpler arrangements and gradually
picks up tempo and complexity.
- Start your drive at the beginning of the album.
- On your return trip, again start the drive at the beginning of the
FOR DOGS WITH MILD AUTOMOBILE ANXIETY ISSUES
Preparation before the drive:
- Have your dog listen to Travel Prep at home, prior to your trip in the
car. When your dog becomes accustomed to the music in a stress-free
environment, it will provide him/her with a sense of comfort. Play the album
when your dog is already relaxed, such as before bed, during a mid-day
snooze, or after a meal.
- When you get in the car, make sure to start on track 1. It begins with
slower, simpler arrangements and then gradually picks up tempo and
The return trip:
- If time allows, we suggest having you and your dog listen to a few
minutes of Travel Prep in the car with the engine off before your return
- Begin your drive with track 1.
FOR DOGS WITH MODERATE TO EXTREME AUTOMOBILE ANXIETY ISSUES
Preparation before the first drive:
- Have your dog listen to Travel Prep while at home. Getting your dog
accustomed to the music in a stress-free environment will provide a sense of
comfort. Play this 20-minute track when your dog is already relaxed, such as
before bed, during a mid-day snooze, or after a meal.
- Next, sit in the car with him/her with the motor off and listen to
Travel Prep until your dog is as calm and content as he/she was in your home
- If your dog is highly anxious, we recommend repeating this listening
exercise in the car daily, with motor off until your dog becomes calm and
- When your dog can remain relaxed in the car with the motor off for 15"“20
minutes, progress to idling the motor (without going anywhere), and playing
Travel Prep while your dog remains relaxed.
- If your dog is still anxious after idling your car for 15"“20 minutes, we
recommend repeating this exercise daily, with the CD playing Travel Prep
until your dog becomes calm and content.
First car ride:
- When you are ready for your first drive, begin with track 1 of Through a
Dog's Ear: Driving Edition.
- It is highly recommended that the first couple of car rides be very
short (a trip around the block, etc.) so that your dog remains in a relaxed
- Gradually increase the drive time as long as your dog remains calm and
Preparation for the return trip during longer drives:
- Twenty minutes prior to your return trip, have your dog listen to Travel
Prep, ideally while sitting in the car with him/her, without the engine on.
- When beginning your drive, start Through a Dog's Ear: Driving Edition at
the beginning of track 1 and play only through track 12.
As mentioned earlier, this procedure of having your dog listen to Travel Prep
before your drive will not be necessary every time you travel. We recommend
Travel Prep until your dog is comfortable in the car. With some dogs, this is
required only once; with others, several times; some dogs will need to listen to
Travel Prep periodically throughout their lives.
If car anxiety resurfaces, repeat the "preparation before the first drive"
instructions. If car anxiety becomes worse, we recommend you seek the help of a
qualified animal behaviorist.
The music of Travel Prep can be
replaced or augmented with any of the selections from
Through a Dog's Ear: Music to Calm Your Canine Companion.
|Driving Edition protocols designed by behaviorist Maureen "Moe"
Strenfel, Agility trainer Sandy Rogers, and Lisa Spector.
Return to the product description page.