Storm Defender Cape for Dogs Afraid of Thunderstorms
The Storm Defender cape will help your dog to overcome his or her fear of thunderstorms - guaranteed! It is safe, simple and effective and recommended by behaviorist Dr. Nicolas Dodman who found that it helped 2/3 of dogs with storm phobias.
- When properly used, the Storm Defender cape will help your dog stay calm during thunderstorms. The cape has a special metallic lining that discharges a dog's fur and shields him from static electricity buildup. The dog feels relief, and after a few storms begins to learn that the things like rain, wind, thunder, barometric pressure and smells are no longer to be feared. With the Storm Defender cape on, the dog feels as though he has found a safe place.
- You might have noticed that your dog can sense that a storm is coming even before you can. This is because dogs can sense the static electricity that builds before a thunderstorm. This static charge, if it gets big enough, is what produces destructive lightning. Dogs instinctively sense that impending lightning, feel fear and wish to seek shelter. It is their "early warning" system for lightning and a built in safety mechanism. However, in our homes, the poor dog's fear (sometimes more like a phobia) is no help during thunderstorms. Some dogs are extremely excited or even panicked during storms and are impossible to console.
- Dogs will naturally try to escape the static charge by finding areas that are electrically grounded. Many thunderstorm-phobic dogs find shelter in the basement, around bathroom fixtures or near pipes. Favorite spots are often the bathtub (if made of porcelain coated cast iron) or the car.
- Note that the electrical activity is not always associated with rain. There can be static buildup without rain such as "heat lightning" or rain without charge such as "April showers." Since we are largely insensitive to this charge, we must take our cues from our dog. It is very difficult to calm a dog once they have reached full panic, so putting the cape on early is essential.
How to use the Storm Defender thunder anxiety wrap:
- The Storm Defender cape gives relief to dogs who are excessively afraid of thunderstorms. It must be put on when the dog first begins to get anxious due to an oncoming electrical thunderstorm. The Storm Defender will reduce the dog's sensitivity to the static buildup that precedes and accompanies a thunderstorm. It may be removed when the electrical activity has passed. The cape is for indoor use only.
- Some learning is involved. The maximum efficiency is reached after the dog has experienced two or three thunderstorms with the cape on. Timing is crucial! The cape must be put on before the dog has reached high agitation, which may or may not coincide with rain.
- Complete instructions are included with the cape. Follow these simple guidelines: 1. Put the cape on when the dog first notices that a storm is coming and becomes somewhat agitated. 2. Please note that learning is involved and the Storm Defender cape may not work instantly. If you usually give your dog drugs during storms, consult your vet. Certain drugs may make the learning process more difficult. 3. If your dog has separation anxiety, do not put the cape on and leave as your dog may destroy the cape in his highly anxious state.
- American Pet Association approved! Read review.
Made in the USA!
Care: Gently hand wash and hang dry. Avoid heat and any abrasive soaps.
Shipping: $8 shipping for Priority Mail within the US and $17 for international shipping.
Guarantee / Returns: The patented Storm Defender cape is guaranteed to give your dog relief from thunderstorm phobia or return the cape within one year for a full refund. We ask that you follow the instructions for three thunderstorms before deciding whether to return the product.
Sizing: See chart below and choose the correct size for your dog from our drop down Size list:
Storm Defender Cape Sizing:
|X-Large (currently unavailable)||25-30â€||24â€-36â€|
|Giant (currently unavailable)||30+â€||30â€-41â€|
Storm Defender Direct Shipping via USPS. $8 for US and $17 International.
Allow 3 - 8 days for delivery.
Please note that if you purchase additional items from the Pet Expertise Warehouse or other Supplier Direct items you may incur additional shipping charges which will be calculated at checkout. To view the shipping cost for an item follow the steps below:
1. Add the item(s) to your cart.
2. Click the View Cart link.
3. Click on the CALCULATE link (on the right side just after the Subtotal).